Welcome to UTMB’s Family Medicine Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in the University of Texas Medical Branch
(UTMB) Family Medicine Residency Program. The University of Texas
Medical Branch (UTMB) is a component of the University of Texas System
and is located on beautiful Galveston Island, Texas. The Department of
Family Medicine at UTMB was established in 1971. It was the first
academic department of Family Medicine in the state of Texas. Since
1998, the Department of Family Medicine has been chaired by Dr. Barbara L. Thompson.
The Residency Program has graduated over 350 residents since accepting the first trainees in 1971.
The program is structured as a 10-10-10 program accredited by the ACGME, for a total of 30 residents in training annually.
Other features of our program:
- Five developed tracks: Faculty Development, Sports Medicine, Obstetrics/Women's Health, Integrative Medicine and Public Health
- Can Choose an Area of Concentration
- Large number of electives
- Behavioral Medicine Program – recognized as one of the best examples of an integrated, skills-based curriculum in the nation
- Community Medicine – valued component of our program that
enables integration of the concepts of community health, advocacy and
intervention in practice and in collaboration with local community
- Practice Management – intensive practice management longitudinal
curriculum with focused rotation in the third year to prepare each
resident for the real world and the business of medicine.
- Scholarly Activity - Structured 3 years of scholarly activity guided by our research director for excellent chances to be published in journals and attend an annual regional research symposium.
- Dedicated board review rotation resulting in a 100% board review pass rate since 2012
- Quarterly residency support groups
- Patient-Centered Medical Home – clinical and didactic teaching
focused on providing integrated, coordinated, comprehensive, and
accessible health care for our patients, families, and community
- Campus-wide integrated EMR (Epic)
- Procedure Training – ambulatory and hospital based
- Opportunities for International Health experiences in Kenya.
- Resident Research Program – longitudinal curriculum and focused
third year rotation with potential for multiple national conference
presentations and/or publications
- Fellowship/Advanced Training – multiple graduates have gone on to fellowships and other advanced training opportunities in integrative medicine, emergency medicine, sports medicine and geriatrics.
- The UTMB Department of Family Medicine offers an Integrative Medicine Fellowship that our residents can apply for in their third year.
We believe that the rich academic environment of UTMB will afford
motivated and dedicated residents incredible opportunities to become
true physicians of excellence, providing the best care to our patients
and our communities. Again, thank you for your interest.
Please come and visit us!